UAY

UAY

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

My Teaching Philosophy

I believe that the role of an art teacher is to act as more of a guide to students in the classroom, and help them discover their own artistic voice. Teachers should show students new techniques, mediums, and artists at the beginning of each project, and allow for the most creative freedom by having open-ended lesson plans. To ensure that students are still pushing themselves, the art teacher should do one-on-one critiques with students, and be someone to discuss possible ideas with. Art teachers should aim to create a comfortable classroom community where ideas can be exchanged freely, and students are not afraid to take artistic risks with their work.

I really want students to walk away from my classroom knowing that art can be made for them, with their interests in mind, and not just for a grade. I want them to walk away knowing that art is something that can surpass just being a hobby they do on the side. I want students to walk away from the classroom knowing that because they are not doing well in other classes does not mean they are stupid. I want them to see themselves as artists, and not just students in an art classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment